[petsc-users] Implementing a homotopy solver

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 6 11:19:46 CDT 2018

   I am assuming the matrix M is provided as a regular PETSc AIJ (for example) sparse matrix.

    I am not sure you need bother with the Sherman-Morrison formula. Just write a shell matrix that performs the MatMult with A = M + L and call KSPSetOperators(ksp,A,M); PETSc will solve the linear system with A and construct the preconditioner using the matrix M; since A is only a rank one perturbation of M; the preconditioner constructed from M will be a good preconditioner for A.

   Barry