[petsc-users] Petsc messing with OpenMP

Timothée Nicolas timothee.nicolas at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 11:36:33 CST 2018

Thank you for your answer,

I am not responsible for the choices in this code to begin with, but in any
case, as you can see in the example, I am not using any petsc call. Also in
our code, even though openmp is used, this is never in interaction with
petsc, the latter being used only at a specific (but crucial) place in the
code, and without openMP. In that sense, the model we are using is NOT some
'Petsc with threads model', as described in the page you sent me.
Nevertheless, it appears that just linking petsc is enough to perturb the
behavior of openMP. I believe it may require further investigation. On top
of the bug I report in my first message, I have noticed very weird openMP
behavior lately, the kind of bugs that 'don't make sense' at first sight
(would be too long/boring to give details at this stage). I am starting to
realize that it may have something to do with petsc.

Again, the webpage you have sent me seems to adopt the point of view that
hybrid MPI/openMP is useless from the performance point of view, and/or
that Petsc routines should not be threaded. It does not, however, explain
why the behaviour of openMP may be changed by merely linking a program with
petsc, without a single petsc call in the program.

Best