[petsc-users] Cell type for DMPlexCreateFromCellList

Danyang Su danyang.su at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 11:23:45 CST 2018

On 18-02-23 03:04 AM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 1:33 AM, Danyang Su <danyang.su at gmail.com
> <mailto:danyang.su at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All,
>
>     What cell types does DMPlexCreateFromCellList support? I test this
>     with triangle, tetrahedron and prism. Both triangle and
>     tetrahedron work but prism mesh throws error saying "Cone size 6
>     not supported for dimension 3".
>
>     Could anyone tell me all the supported cell types?
>

> The limitation occurs in two places:
>
>   1) Calculating edges and faces: I only know how to do this for tri,
> tet, quad, and hex. Give PETSC_FALSE to CreateFromCellList() and this
> error will go away.
Passing PETSC_FALSE to CreateFromCellList() works. There is no problem
in the distributed nodes and cells. Is there any plan to add
prism(wedge) in the near future?

>       You could also provide the information for interpolating prisms,
> which would depend on how they are ordered when you read in cells.
>
>   2) Even if you read them in, I have no geometric routines for prisms.
That's fine for me. I just need to create dmplex based on the given
cell/vertex list and distribute over all the processors. Then follow the
general routines that have been used in the structured grid.

Thanks,

Danyang