[petsc-users] How to efficiently represent a diagonal matrix?

Fande Kong fdkong.jd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 18:11:40 CST 2018

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 4:35 PM, Smith, Barry F. <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>   What are you doing with the matrix?

We are doing an explicit method. PDEs are discretized using a finite
element method, so there is a mass matrix. The mass matrix will be lumped,
and it becomes diagonal. We want to compute the inverse of the lumped
matrix, and also do a few of matrix-vector multiplications using  the
lumped matrix or  its inverse.

The specific implementation won't make this more efficient?

Fande,