[petsc-users] Recommendations of possible preconditioner/ksp solver/snes solver for three phase flow reservoir simulator

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 09:54:51 CST 2018

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 10:12 PM Chukwudi Chukwudozie via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Barry,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I have attached two files with the information.
>
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 8:58 PM Smith, Barry F. <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov>
> wrote:
>

>>   Chuks,
>>
>> 1)   Please run a successful case with -snes_view and send the output so
>> we can see the exact solver options being used.
>>
>> 2)   Run a less successful case with -snes_monitor
>> -ksp_monitor_true_residual -ksp_converged_reason
>> -fieldsplit_ksp_monitor_true_residual -fieldsplit_ksp_converged reason so
>> we can see how the linear solver (and the sub linear solves) are (not)
>> converging.

The first thing I would do is to put Krylov wrappers around the ILU on the
subblocks. ILU could be good enough
for your simple case, but I bet the blocks are not begin accurately solved
in the non-convergent case. You could
turn on monitor for the blocks to confirm this:

  -P_fieldsplit_0_ksp_type gmres
  -P_fieldsplit_0_ksp_monitor_true_residual