[petsc-users] PETSc Data structures on GPU

Weston, Brian Thomas weston8 at llnl.gov
Thu Dec 6 13:43:26 CST 2018

For parallel computations on the CPU, we allocate our own vectors and then give PETSc a point to our vectors using VecCreateMPIWithArray. For computations only on the GPU, we allocate vectors on the GPU and we’d like to do the same thing and give PETSc a pointer to our vector.

1. Does VecCreateMPICUDAWithArray have the same functionality and will it only operate on the GPU?

2. Are there ways to ensure that our PETSc matrices and vectors only live on the GPU (as to avoid data transfer from CPU to GPU)?

3. Lastly, if in the future we move to AMG clusters, will these PETSc CUDA commands still work?

Thanks,
Brian