[petsc-users] v3.9.3 config problem

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Aug 19 22:24:33 CDT 2018

     This is insanely bad for users (including me as a user).

     You shouldn't need to delete anything.

     You just need the additional flag of either --download-zlib or --with-zlib (if it is installed on your system).

     The new branch barry/fix-insanity-netcdf/maint will give you a very useful error message if you don't pass in the zlib. So people won't waste their time on this same problem in the future.

      Sorry to waste your time,

        Barry

      The netcdf code didn't build netcdf4 without access to zlib but it didn't bother to tell you it wasn't building it. Then when exodusii needed netcdf4 it assumed it was there (though it wasn't) and hence the bad compile. I'm also surprised this didn't happen before to other users.