[petsc-users] PETScFE Point Source

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 12:46:11 CDT 2018

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Robert Walker <rlwalker at usc.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there an example of application of a point source in one of the
> tutorial  PETScFE style examples? Ideally this would be some point on the
> interior, and not necessarily on a boundary.
>
> Thanks, and apologies in advance if this is a stupid question,

No, good question. You would have to decide what that meant in FEM terms.
All the internal integrals are done
with quadrature. So putting the source at a quadrature point would work,
although its a little difficult to know where
they will be. You could smooth it out a little, and check coordinates in
the forcing function. Last, you could check
for a "close enough" quadrature point and put it there. I think making a
slightly extended source is usually best.