[petsc-users] Fwd: direct solvers on KNL

Jakub Kruzik jakub.kruzik at vsb.cz
Fri Sep 1 06:40:04 CDT 2017

Hi,

I am looking at a single node performance of MUMPS and SuperLU on KNL
7230 (on Theta). I am using KSP example ex2
(http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ex2.c.html)
with m X n = 2880 x 2880. KNL runs in cache and quad modes.

Times in seconds for 24 cores:
mumps:   279
superlu:   326
cg:             116

Times in seconds for 64 cores:
mumps:   316
superlu:   410
cg :            49

The performance for 24 cores is OK - both direct solvers are roughly 3.5
times slower than 2x E5-2680v3. (According to people from Intel, the
single core performance of KNL is about 3-4 times lower than that of
E5-2680v3). However, strong scalability is really bad.

I am using cray-petsc/3.7.6.0 module. I tried my own PETSc compilation
with MKL and MUMPS/SuperLU installed by PETSc configure but the results
are similar.

Please find attached Theta submission script and logs for KNL and Haswells.

Why the performance of direct solvers on a full node is so bad?

Best,
Jakub