[petsc-users] Controlling MUMPS parameters inside PETSC

Hong hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 13 18:16:58 CDT 2017

Evan:

> Dear PETSC-users,
>
> I use parallel direct solver MUMPS inside PETSC and need to control some
> MUMPS parameters inside PETSC. For example, I want to set up MUMPS
> parameters as shown below.
>
>  ZMUMPS_STRUC_C id;
>  id.job=-1; /* Initialize mumps instance*/

This is set in petsc/mumps interface. See line 1197, mumps.c

>  id.par=1;  /* 0: host is not involved in solution processes */

 id.par=1; is used in the interface. See line 1198, id.par=1;

 id.sym=2;  /* 0:unsysm, 2:general symmetric matrix */

id.sym is set in the interface based on the input matrix type, see line
2154-2171

> How can I access structure similar to id in PETSC?

Why do you want access id?

> For example, I control my icntl parameters like this.
>
> PCFactorGetMatrix(pc, &F);
> MatMumpsSetIcntl(F, icntl[i], ival[i]);
>
> However, it is not clear about how to control id.par and id.sym. If you
> have any experience in controlling id.par and id.sym inside PETSC, I
> request your help. In advance, thank you  very much for your help.

Petsc/mumps interface is developed for petsc users to call mumps direct
solvers under petsc environment. The parameters id.par, id.sym ... are set
in the interface according to the user's matrix and solver type, thus user
does not need to know about them.

Hong