[petsc-users] Good recommendation on meshing package?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 09:13:34 CDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Zou, Ling <ling.zou at inl.gov> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know this is a bit off topic on PETSc email list.
> I would like to try some finite volume type of CFD algorithm with PETSc,
> but I found it quite troublesome to manage mesh by myself.
> I wonder if there is any good existing meshing package that works well
> with PTESc.

It possible you could use the DMPlex support in PETSc.

> My expectation on such a package would be:
> 1) I create the mesh with some tool.

We support at least GMsh, ExodusII, PLY, Triangle, and TetGen.

> 2) Read this mesh with the meshing package, so I have things like node
> set, edge set, cell set, etc. to play with
> 3) discretize my PDE with the mesh
> 4) solve it
>
> I also understand many people here use PETSc solve their CFD problem.
> I would appreciate it if you could also point me to some good examples.

There are a bunch of tests, like src/dm/impls/plex/examples/tests/ex1 which
reads in a mesh and views it, and also
some examples of solving PDEs, all elliptic, such as SNES ex12, ex62, and
ex77 and TS ex45, ex46, and ex47.