[petsc-users] How can I retrieve the IS for all Missing Diagonal entries?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 10:26:08 CST 2017

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Eric Chamberland <
Eric.Chamberland at giref.ulaval.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
> First, I am looking for a function that is almost like MatMissingDiagonal,
> but that would return me *all* missing diagonal entries.
>
> Does it exists?

No

> If not, is there another way of doing this?

Not a nice way, unfortunately. It is fairly dependent on the
implementation. You could call GetRow() for every row and check.

> Second: after searching through Petsc list, I found this that upset me a
> bit:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/petsc-users@mcs.anl.gov/msg22867.html
>
> so maybe I should modify our code to be fully compliant with this?  I have
> some examples (MUMPS) that are working without diagonal entries but I
> didn't tried other PCs or KSPs...

We use the diagonal frequently, for instance in the factorization PCs. I am
guessing we put in the diagonal when converting to the MUMPS format.