[petsc-users] Node renumbering and ghost nodes determination

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Jun 28 14:06:03 CDT 2017

There is no single correct way to do this so you can do whatever makes
the most sense for your application.  That ranges from calling ParMETIS
directly and creating a numbering using any scheme you like to using
PETSc functions for everything.  Note that assembled linear algebra
(matrices and vectors) cares about the dof connectivity graph which is
different from the element graph.  Some people (usually those using
lowest order methods) don't pay attention to elements at all (even
integrating elements redundantly instead of communicating again) while
others focus entirely on elements and make arbitrary decisions about
vertex ownership.  For every choice, you can find someone that did it
one way and someone else that did it the other way -- both will be
convinced that their choice was the only correct choice.