[petsc-users] slepc trap for large matrix

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 6 20:06:44 CDT 2017

  The resulting matrix has something like

>>> 119999808*119999808*1.e-6
14,399,953,920.036863

  nonzero entries. It is possible that some integer operations are overflowing since C int can only go up to about 4 billion before overflowing.

  You can building with a different PETSC_ARCH value using the additional ./configure option for PETSc of --with-64-bit-indices and see if the problem is resolved.

   Barry