[petsc-users] -snes_fd for problems with residuals with non-continuous first derivative?

Sanjay Govindjee s_g at berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 5 12:08:24 CDT 2017

Let me suggest that you grab a hold of Simo and Hughes, Computational
Inelasticity, Springer-Verlag (1998).  It explains a lot about how to
set up this problem -- in particular Chapter 1 gives a comprehensive
one-dimensional tutorial on everything you need to know.

On 7/5/17 9:39 AM, Maximilian Hartig wrote:
> I do not clearly understand the discrimination between local and
> global plasticity. I do have areas where I expect the behaviour to be
> elastic and other areas where I expect elasto-plastic behaviour.
> Inertia effects are of importance and hence I need second order
> temporal derivatives of my displacements. The only way I have found to
> implement this in Petsc is to create a separate velocity field which I
> use to then compute ü.
> To account for plasticity, in my understanding I need to introduce at
> least one additional history variable. In my case this is the
> effective plastic strain e_p. I then solve the equation of motion
> (grad(sigma)-rho*ü+F=0) and the consistency condition (sigma_eq -
> sigma_yield = 0) at the same time. Or try to at least.
>
> Thanks,
> Max

> <mailto:luvsharma11 at gmail.com>>:
>
>     Hi Max,
>
>     I do not understand the equations that you write very clearly.
>
>     Are you looking to implement a “local” and “if” type of isotropic
>     hardening plasticity? If that is the case, then in my
>     understanding you need to solve only 1 field equation for the
>     displacement components or for the strain components. You can look
>     at the following code:
>     https://github.com/tdegeus/GooseFFT/blob/master/small-strain/laminate/elasto-plasticity.py
>     <https://github.com/tdegeus/GooseFFT/blob/master/small-strain/laminate/elasto-plasticity.py>
>
>     If you are looking for a PETSc based implementation for plasticity
>     (isotropic/anisotropic) you can look at
>     https://damask.mpie.de/
>     I had presented a talk about the same at the PETSc User Meeting
>     last year.
>
>     As I understand it, additional field equations will only be
>     necessary if the plasticity or elasticity were “nonlocal”. You may
>     want to look at:
>     On the role of moving elastic–plastic boundaries in strain
>     gradient plasticity, R H J Peerlings
>
>     Best regards,
>     Luv
>
>>     On 30 Jun 2017, at 11:52, Maximilian Hartig
>>     <imilian.hartig at gmail.com <mailto:imilian.hartig at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Luv,
>>
>>     I’m modelling linear hardening(sigma_y = sigma_y0 +
>>     K_iso*epsilon_plast_eqiv) with isotropic  plasticity only. So I
>>     should not need to use an iterative method to find the point on
>>     the yield surface. I have three fields and 7 unknowns in total:
>>     Field 0: 3 displacement components
>>     Field 1: 3 velocity components
>>     Field 2: 1 equivalent plastic strain
>>
>>     It is the solver for these three fields that is not converging. I
>>     am using PetscFE. As residuals for the plastic case (sigma_vM >
>>     sigma_yield) I have:
>>
>>     Field 0 (displacement):
>>     f0[i] = rho*u_t[u_Off[1]+i]
>>     f1[i*dim+j] = sigma_tr[i*dim+j] -
>>     2*mu*sqrt(3/2)*u_t[uOff[2]]*N[i*dim+j]
>>
>>     where sigma_tr is the trial stress, mu is the shear modulus and N
> [...]

Sanjay Govindjee, PhD, PE
Horace, Dorothy, and Katherine Johnson Professor in Engineering

779 Davis Hall
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1710

Voice:  +1 510 642 6060
FAX:    +1 510 643 5264
s_g at berkeley.edu
http://faculty.ce.berkeley.edu/sanjay

Books:

Engineering Mechanics of Deformable
Solids: A Presentation with Exercises
http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Physics/MaterialsScience/?view=usa&ci=9780199651641
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199651641.do
http://amzn.com/0199651647

Engineering Mechanics 3 (Dynamics) 2nd Edition
http://www.springer.com/978-3-642-53711-0
http://amzn.com/3642537111

Engineering Mechanics 3, Supplementary Problems: Dynamics
http://www.amzn.com/B00SOXN8JU