[petsc-users] Multi-domain meshes with DMPLEX

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 20:26:21 CST 2017

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Santos Teixeira Frederico <
fsantost at student.ethz.ch> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Attached you find small.msh, a mesh with two prisms (physical domains 43
> and  45) and the interface between them (physical domain 40).
> test_dmplex.cpp loads the mesh and tries to filter each sub-mesh and the
> interface. I use PETSc master.
>
> When I load small.msh, all physical domains are correctly assigned to "Cell
> Sets" or "Face Sets".
>
> 1) Both sub-meshes (prisms with domains 43 and 45) are filtered with
> DMPlexFilter and saved correctly, but the interface isn't. What am I
> missing?

What exactly does "the interface isn't" mean? Does it mean you are not
getting what you expect from the submesh?

One way to more easily communicate about this is to replace your blocks of
Viewer commands with one line
DMViewFromOptions() calls. That way you can show me just -dm_view or
-dm_view ::ascii_info_detail, or output
VTK with -dm_view vtk:mesh.vtu, or HDF5 -dm_view hdf5:mesh.h5, etc.

We could start off with sending me just the plain ASCII output for the mesh
and submeshes. I do recognize you sent
the code, but I have a conference deadline for Monday (I will be there
until Friday), so I am unlikely to build it before them.

> 2) I can retrieve any specific strata of "Cell Sets" with DMPlexFilter,
> but this operation does not include any related strata of "Face Sets", as
> pointed by DMView. How can I do it?

Do DMFilter is not propagating labels? Okay, that can go on the bug list.
Is this what you mean?

> 3) Physical domains 43 and 45 could be interpreted as fluid and solid
> domains in a F.S.I. simulation, for example, and I would like to define
> fluid and solid sub-problems only on the respective sub-mesh. Do I really
> need to have fully operational sub-DMPLEX's in order to achieve it? Is
> there an easier way?

I am not sure I understand what is going wrong yet.