[petsc-users] TS question 1: how to stop explicit methods because they do not use SNES(VI)?

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Feb 14 11:55:10 CST 2017

>   Hence my suggestion to have TSSetLeftHandSideFunction() (or Jed's suggestion to have multiple Right Hand side functions) this will allow comparison of implicit, explicit, imex without recompiling (which we don't have currently) for the case with no mass matrix. With a mass matrix, unless we use mass lumping and have a TSSetMassMatrix() you cannot switch to full explicit, but that is due to mathematics, not the interface.

Who in reality has a problem that looks like

  u_t = f(u) + g(u) + h(u)

where it may make sense to move some of this to the left (implicit)?
I'm concerned that this isn't natural for many applications so adding an
interface would be solving a problem that doesn't really exist outside
perhaps a few academic examples.