[petsc-users] TS question 1: how to stop explicit methods because they do not use SNES(VI)?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 14 11:36:30 CST 2017

> On Feb 14, 2017, at 6:53 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 3:59 PM, Zhang, Hong <hongzhang at anl.gov> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 13, 2017, at 3:08 PM, Ed Bueler <elbueler at alaska.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Barry --
>>
>> >   Sounds like a bug to me. The methods should be checking if an
>> > IFunction is being provided and error out in that case.
>>
>> I don't think it is that simple.  I.e. having an IFunction and an explicit scheme is not, by itself, a bug.  I think.
>>
>> If the user has provided IFunction
>>    F(t,u,u_t) = u_t - f(t,u)
>> which is the convenient form for e.g. TSARKIMEX,
>> and RHSFunction
>>   G(t,u)
>> then I guess I assumed that explicit methods like TSRK should,for unconstrained cases, get their RHS by callback like this:
>>   g(t,u) = - F(t,u,0) + G(t,u)
>> so that the ODE is in form
>>   u_t = g(t,u) = f(t,u) + g(t,u)
>>

> PETSc does not transform IFunction to the RHS this way, and PETSc is not supposed to do it automatically. Note that IFunction may involve a mass matrix, e.g. F(t,u,u_t) = M*u_t - f(t,u) and sometimes M is not invertible.
>

>> I think that is the behavior I am seeing (i.e. on my problem, using PETSc master).
>
> Explicit methods use only RHSFunction and ignore IFunction, so in your case, if you change TS type to rk and ssp at run time, you are actually solving u_t = G(t,u). If RHSFunction is not provided, PETSc will assume the RHS is zero (u_t=0).
>
> I do not agree with this. I thought our aim was to support users comparing explicit with implicit with semi-implicit. This breaks that model completely.

  Hence my suggestion to have TSSetLeftHandSideFunction() (or Jed's suggestion to have multiple Right Hand side functions) this will allow comparison of implicit, explicit, imex without recompiling (which we don't have currently) for the case with no mass matrix. With a mass matrix, unless we use mass lumping and have a TSSetMassMatrix() you cannot switch to full explicit, but that is due to mathematics, not the interface.

   Barry