[petsc-users] Multiblock examples

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 09:47:37 CST 2017

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Praveen C <cpraveen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17-Dec-2017, at 8:59 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> But this is not an explanation. Is it non-overlapping or overlapping? If
> non-overlapping, how
> does it match up at edges? Does it use mapped geometry?
>

> Sorry, I did not realize there are so many variations.
>
> I want to use non-overlapping grids. The grids will match exactly at the
> block boundaries.
>
> does it match up at edges? Does it use mapped geometry?
>

> No, I will not be able to map the whole domain to a reference domain. So I
> will not use a mapping.
>
> If there are any examples of such use case, that would be great help.
> Ideally, I would like the specify block information and their connectivity
> from an input file.

There are no examples of this. DMDA cannot do this. You may be able to do
what you want with

  http://www.p4est.org/

which is supported by the DMForest in PETSc. You would have to use
PetscSection to describe your variable layout and
to access values, so it would not be as easy as DMDA. This is a very new
part of PETSc, so there is not much documentation
and no examples.