[petsc-users] Petsc ILU PC Change between 3.6.4 and 3.7.x?

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Thu Aug 24 11:01:55 CDT 2017

"Klaij, Christiaan" <C.Klaij at marin.nl> writes:

> Matt,
>
> Thanks, I can understand the lower condition number of P A, but
> what about r? Doesn't that change to P r and if so why can we
> assume that ||r|| and ||P r|| have the same order?

Matt's equation was of course wrong in a literal sense, but is based on
the right moral convictions.  We have

  r = A (x - x_exact)

which implies that

  ||r|| <= ||A|| || x - x_exact ||.

We also have

  x - x_exact = A^{-1} r

so

  || x - x_exact || <= || A^{-1} || ||r||.

Combining these gives the two-sided bound

  || A ||^{-1} ||r|| <= || x - x_exact || <= || A^{-1} || ||r||.

The ratio of the high and low bounds is the condition number.  Our
convergence tolerance controls the norm of the residual (in a relative
or absolute sense).  If the condition number is smaller, we get tighter
control on the error.  If you are confident that your preconditioner
reduces the condition number, it makes sense to measure convergence in
the preconditioned norm (this is natural with left preconditioning for
GMRES), in which the bounds above are in terms of the preconditioned
operator.

The main reason for PETSc to keep the preconditioned norm as a default
is that many users, especially beginners, produce poorly scaled
equations, e.g., with penalty boundary conditions or with disparate
scales between fields with different units (displacement, pressure,
velocity, energy, etc.).  You will often see the unpreconditioned
residual drop by 10 orders of magnitude on the first iteration because
the penalty boundary conditions are satisfied despite the solution being
completely wrong inside the domain.

On the other hand, the preconditioned residual causes misdiagnosis of
convergence if the preconditioner is (nearly) singular, as is the case
with some preconditioners applied to saddle point problems, for example.
But this is easy to identify using -ksp_monitor_true_residual.