[petsc-users] DMPlex ghost cells

Adrian Croucher a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Aug 3 22:07:29 CDT 2017

I am adding cells onto a DMPlex (for dual porosity). I notice that
normally the ghost cells in a DMPlex are at the end of the cell list.

Does it matter if the cells I add come after those ghost cells, or
should the ghosts always come last?

It seems to me it probably shoudn't matter if the partition ghosts
(created by DMPlexDistribute()) are not at the end. In my cell loops I
just check the value of the ghost DMLabel and skip them if necessary.

But perhaps the boundary ghosts (created by DMPlexConstructGhostCells())
need to come last? Otherwise the output from DMPlexGetHybridBounds() (to
get the bounds on 'interior' cells, i.e. non-boundary-ghosts) probably
wouldn't make much sense?

- Adrian

--
Dr Adrian Croucher