[petsc-users] questions on hypre preconditioner

Fande Kong fdkong.jd at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 11:39:23 CDT 2016

Thanks, Barry.

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> > On Sep 5, 2016, at 11:21 AM, Fande Kong <fdkong.jd at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Developers,
> >
> > There are two questions on the hypre preconditioner.
> >
> > (1) How to set different relax types on different levels? It looks to
> use the SAME relax type on all levels except the coarse level which we
> could set it to a different solver. Especially, could I set the smoother
> type on the finest level as NONE?
>
>    I don't think this is possible through the PETSc interface; it may or
> may not be possible by adding additional hypre calls. You need to check the
> hypre documentation.

I already took a look into the hypre code. It is not easy to change. But
there is a way to do that. I already figured out a way to extract
interpolation, restriction  and coarse operators from hypre. I could
construct any algorithms I want with these operators.

The question is: any existing ways to convert a parallel hypre matrix to a
petsc Mat, and the same operations for vectors?

> > (2) How could I know how many levels have been actually created in
> hypre, and how many unknowns on different levels?   The "-pc_view" can not
> tell me this information:
>
> -pc_hypre_boomeramg_print_statistics integer  different integers give
> different amounts of detail, I don't know what the integers mean.

we could get all information by extracting data from hypre_solver.

Fande,