[petsc-users] --download-metis and build of stand-alone tools

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Oct 31 09:26:39 CDT 2016

"Klaij, Christiaan" <C.Klaij at marin.nl> writes:

> Satish,
>
> I've noticed that SuperLU depends on metis and parmetis and that
> PETSc downloads the versions 5.1.0-p3 and 4.0.3-p3. These are
> different from the Karypis latest stable versions (without the
> -p3). Do I really need these -p3 versions?

They fix some portability and correctness bugs.  Those packages are
mostly unmaintained by upstream and new releases often don't fix bugs
that have reproducible test cases and patches.  So you can use the
upstream version, but it might crash due to known bugs and good luck
getting support.

> If so, after configure, compilation and installation by petsc, it
> seems that the stand-alone programs such as gpmetis are not being
> build and installed. That's a problem for me. I don't mind
> switching to the versions and config that petsc needs, but I do
> need the complete thing. Can I somehow tell petsc to also build
> the standalone tools?

PETSc only needs or wants the library.  In the pkg-metis CMakeLists.txt
file, there is a line

  #add_subdirectory("programs")

which needs to be uncommented to get the programs.  Someone could add a
conditional and plumb it into metis.py to make a PETSc configure option.
That would be a welcome contribution.