[petsc-users] --download-metis and build of stand-alone tools

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 31 09:25:18 CDT 2016

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016, Klaij, Christiaan wrote:

> Satish,
>
> I've noticed that SuperLU depends on metis and parmetis and that
> PETSc downloads the versions 5.1.0-p3 and 4.0.3-p3. These are
> different from the Karypis latest stable versions (without the
> -p3). Do I really need these -p3 versions?

The tarballs we distribute have a bunch of patches [mostly for
protable build - but some bugfixes aswell]

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/pkg-parmetis/commits/all
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/pkg-metis/commits/all

> If so, after configure, compilation and installation by petsc, it
> seems that the stand-alone programs such as gpmetis are not being
> build and installed. That's a problem for me. I don't mind
> switching to the versions and config that petsc needs, but I do
> need the complete thing. Can I somehow tell petsc to also build
> the standalone tools?

I haven't built this stuff. But presumably the process with our
tarball is similar to the one you would use with tarballs from
Karypis.

So you should be able to "cd PETSC_ARCH/externalapcakages/*metis*" and
do the build of this extra stuff as you require?

Satish