[petsc-users] GAMG

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Fri Oct 28 09:46:37 CDT 2016

> AMG (the agglomeration kind) needs to know the near null space of your
> operator in order
> to work. You have an elasticity problem (I think), and if you take that
> operator without boundary
> conditions, the energy is invariant to translations and rotations. The
> space of translations and
> rotations is a 6D space (3 translations, 3 rotations). You need to express
> these in the basis for
> your problem (I assume linear elements, P1).

Actually, these vectors are purely geometric. If these rigid body modes are
not your kernel then you have a bad discretization or you are not doing 3D
elasticity.

Anyway, this reminds me that the problem goes away w/o the RBMs.  The fine
grid eigen estimate was large and will not be affected by the null space
business. The second grid had a huge eigenvalue and that could be affected
by the null space.

What is your Poisson ratio?