[petsc-users] PetscDSSetResidual/PetscDSSetJacobian in fortran

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun May 22 07:06:09 CDT 2016

On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 2:08 AM, Nestor Cerpa <ncerpagi at umn.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use PetscDSSetResidual and PetscDSSetJacobian in a simple
> fortran code but they seem to be missing in the include files
> (petsc-master). I get this error message :

They are not there. Taking function pointers from Fortran is complex, and I
do not understand the new
framework that Jed put in place to do this. It is used, for example in
SNESSetFunction(). I would be
happy to integrate code if you have time to implement it, but right now I
am pressed for time.

> *Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:*
> *  "_petscdssetresidual_", referenced from:*
> *      _MAIN__ in Poisson.o*
> *ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64*
> *collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status*
> *make: [Poisson] Error 1 (ignored)*
> */bin/rm -f -f Poisson.o*
>
> I am also wondering if there are snes examples like ex12 or ex62 in
> fortran?

Everyone using Plex in Fortran has so far preferred to handle the
discretization themselves. I hope
that changes, but as you note I will have to get the pointwise function
support in there first.