[petsc-users] about the new EPSSetStoppingTestFunction functionality in SLEPC

Giacomo Mulas gmulas at oa-cagliari.inaf.it
Wed Jun 1 05:28:32 CDT 2016

Hello slepc developers.

I am trying to use the new EPSSetStoppingTestFunction() functionality to
write my own custom MyStoppingTest() function. What information can I access
within that function? I would need to get currently converged eigenpairs,
can I access them, e.g. by calling EPSGetConvergedEigenpair on the eps?

Also, I cannot know in advance how many eigenpairs I will need to find to
fulfill my stopping criterion. What would be the most effective strategy?
Calling EPSSolve many times in sequence, till I get enough eigenpairs,
putting already found ones in the deflation space (which is what I did
before the EPSSetStoppingTestFunction() functionality was available)?
Or requesting _all_ eigenpairs and then relying on the custom stopping
function to stop when enough are found?

Thanks in advance
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas at oa-cagliari.inaf.it>

INAF - Osservatorio Astronomico di Cagliari
via della scienza 5 - 09047 Selargius (CA)

tel.   +39 070 71180244
mob. : +39 329  6603810