[petsc-users] Benchmarking

Hong hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 28 09:42:59 CST 2016

Vijay:
The performance of eigenvalue computation depends on many factors
- matrix features, location of eigenvalues, orthogonalization of
eigenvectors
- how many eigensolutions do you compute, largest/smallest spectrum,
accuracy
- algorithms used
- computer used ...

> I'm doing exact diagonalization studies of some phenomenological model
> Hamiltonian. In this study I have to diagonalize large sparse matrices in
> Hilbert space of Slater determinants many times.

Why do you carry out these experiments? For solving this type of problem, I
would suggest searching related research publications and compare your
results.

> I've successfully used PETSc + SLEPc to get few smallest eigenvalues.
> For example I've been able to diagonalize a matrix of rank *91454220*
> with 990 processors. This diagonalization took *15328.695847 *Sec (or
> *4.25* Hrs.)

The matrix size   91M is quite amazing.

Hong