[petsc-users] traceback & error handling

Andreas Mang andreas at ices.utexas.edu
Mon Dec 19 14:10:18 CST 2016

Hey guys:

I have some problems with the error handling. On my local machine (where I debug) I get a million warning messages if I do

#undef __FUNCT__
#define __FUNCT__ “ClassName::FunctionName”

(i.e., file.cpp:XXX: __FUNCT__=“ClassName::FunctionName" does not agree with __func__=“FunctionName”)

If I run the same code using intel15 compilers it’s the opposite (which I discovered just now). That is, I get an error for

#undef __FUNCT__
#define __FUNCT__ “FunctionName”

(i.e., file.cpp:XXX: __FUNCT__=“FunctionName" does not agree with __func__=“ClassName::FunctionName”)

I do like the error handling by PETSc. I think it’s quite helpful. Obviously, I can write my own stack trace but why bother if it’s already there. I did check your online documentation and I could no longer find these definitions in your code. So, should I just remove all of these definitions? Is there a quick fix? Is this depreciated?

Second of all, I saw you do no longer use error handling in your examples at all, i.e.,

ierr = FunctionCall(); CHKERRQ(ierr);

and friends have vanished. Why is that? Is it just to keep the examples simple or are you moving away from using these Macros for error handling.

I hope I did not miss any changes in this regard in one of your announcements. I could not find anything in the documentation.

Thanks
Andreas