[petsc-users] DMPlex higher order elements

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Thu Aug 25 01:11:52 CDT 2016

Andrew Ho <andrewh0 at uw.edu> writes:
> I suppose that's true. The more I look at what Cubit/other meshing software
> generate at the surface, I don't think it can exactly represent even simple
> conics sections such as circular arcs and ellipses exactly, which is a
> shame.

True

> Still, I'd take 3rd order accuracy with quadratic surfaces over 2nd
> order accuracy,

Yes, it's what we have now.

> and I'm assuming that whatever is needed to support Tri6 elements in
> DMPlex generalizes easily to Tri10/Tri15/etc. whenever there exists a
> meshing tool capable of generating these meshes.

I actually think it's a poor model for representing this information,
but it's what exists today and retooling the mesh generation stack to do
it differently is a monumental and thankless task that will likely fail.
Unfortunately, getting access to the CAD model from the solver is really
a mess if you want portable code or don't have lots of money.  I think
it's actually a barrier to a lot of cool things, but I think you'd need
to be in a very special position to invest time in building a better
solution.