[petsc-users] DMPlex higher order elements

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 12:22:38 CDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 12:57 AM, Andrew Ho <andrewh0 at uw.edu> wrote:

> I created an unstructured tri6 mesh in Cubit and am trying to read it into
> PETSc using DMPlexCreateFromFile. However, when I do PETSc gives me an
> error that it doesn't support this type of element.
>
> I know my PETSc install has Exodus II support because by giving a
> different Exodus mesh file with Tri3 elements works just fine. I've
> attached the Exodus mesh generated by Cubit. I can open up the mesh file in
> Paraview just fine and it does appear to be valid (it has 2 elements
> approximating a quarter circle wedge).

Okay, I will look at getting this to read in alright. Notice that Paraview
does exactly the wrong thing here in that it has
straight lines connecting the midpoints and corners of the triangles. They
should be smooth quadratic curves, and this
misunderstanding comes from the horrible format choice which pretends that
there are "extra" vertices.

   Matt