[petsc-users] MatMkl_CPardisoSetCntl

Matthew Overholt overholt at capesim.com
Mon Aug 22 10:49:17 CDT 2016

Hi All,

I am using the Intel MKL CPardiso library as a PC direct solver, and I am
trying to figure out how to properly set options (the Pardiso and CPardiso
"iparm" parameter values in the Intel docs).

Q1: To set the Pivoting perturbation, for example, is the correct call:

ierr = MatMkl_CPardisoSetCntl( K, 10, 13 );

where the KSP matrix to be inverted is "K" and the value that I want is
"13"?  This is the "-mat_mkl_pardiso_10" option listed on the
MATSOLVERMKL_PARDISO page, and the "iparm[9]" option in the Intel docs.

Q2: Where do I make this call, before "MatSetUp( K )", at some point during
the creation and setup of KSP, or after calling
"PCFactorSetMatSolverPackage( pc, MATSOLVERMKL_CPARDISO )"?  I've tried many
different combinations and none of them seem to work.

Since the effect of changing the pivoting perturbation may not be obvious, I
also tried setting the number of OpenMP threads to use within Pardiso (icntl
= 65, without the environmental variable MKL_NUM_THREADS present) and my
setting was ignored (Pardiso defaulted to using the maximum number of cores
present).

Thanks in advance,

Matt Overholt

---