[petsc-users] Question about using MatSNESMFWPSetComputeNormU

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 10:54:53 CDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 10:39 AM, 최경준 <kyungjun.choi92 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) I wanna know the difference between applying option with command line
> and within source code.
> From my experience, command line option helps set other default settings
> that I didn't applied, I guess.

The command line arguments are applied to an object when *SetFromOptions()
is called, so in this case
you want SNESSetFromOptions() on the solver. There should be no difference
from using the API.

> 2) I made a matrix-free matrix with MatCreateSNESMF function, and every
> time I check my snes context with SNESView,
>
>     Mat Object:     1 MPI processes
>       type: mffd
>       rows=11616, cols=11616
>         Matrix-free approximation:
>           err=1.49012e-08 (relative error in function evaluation)
>           The compute h routine has not yet been set
>
> at the end of line shows there's no routine for computing h value.
> I used MatMFFDWPSetComputeNormU function, but it didn't work I think.
> Is it ok if I leave the h value that way? Or should I have to set h
> computing routine?

I am guessing you are calling the function on a different object from the
one that is viewed here.
However, there will always be a default function for computing h.