[petsc-users] Hypre's BoomerAMG vs PETSc's GAMG?

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Mon Sep 21 07:21:03 CDT 2015

And I will just add that performance is sensitive to parameters. The
defaults try to be conservative and hypre's seem to be geared for 2D low
order discretizations.  GAMG is probably a bit more geared for 3D.  If you
are interested in looking this carefully you can run GAMG with '-info', and
grep on GAMG, and send us the results and we can verify that it running OK.
Also run with -log_summary and send that separately.  The two solvers
should be about the same speed on your problem.