[petsc-users] MUMPS error and superLU error

Hong hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Sun May 31 09:34:08 CDT 2015

venkatesh,

As we discussed previously, even on smaller problems,
both mumps and superlu_dist failed, although Mumps gave "OOM" error in
numerical factorization.

You acknowledged that B is singular, which may need additional
reformulation for your eigenvalue problems. The option '-st_type sinvert'
likely uses B^{-1} (have you read slepc manual?), which could be the source
of trouble.

Please investigate your model, understand why B is singular; if there is a
way to dump null space before submitting large size simulation.

Hong

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 8:36 AM, Dave May <dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It failed due to a lack of memory. "OOM" stands for "out of memory". OOM
> killer terminated your job means you ran out of memory.
>

> On Sunday, 31 May 2015, venkatesh g <venkateshgk.j at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I tried to run my Generalized Eigenproblem in 120 x 24 = 2880 cores.
>> The matrix size of A = 20GB and B = 5GB.
>>
>> It got killed after 7 Hrs of run time. Please see the mumps error log.
>> Why must it fail ?
>> I gave the command:
>>
>> aprun -n 240 -N 24 ./ex7 -f1 a110t -f2 b110t -st_type sinvert -eps_nev 1
>> -log_summary -st_ksp_type preonly -st_pc_type lu
>> -st_pc_factor_mat_solver_package mumps -mat_mumps_cntl_1 1e-2
>>
>> Kindly let me know.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Venkatesh
>>
>> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 10:46 PM, venkatesh g <venkateshgk.j at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Matt, users,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info. Do you also use Petsc and Slepc with MUMPS ? I get
>>> into the segmentation error if I increase my matrix size.
>>>
>>> Can you suggest other software for direct solver for QR in parallel
>>> since as LU may not be good for a singular B matrix in Ax=lambda Bx ? I am
>>> attaching the working version mumps log.
>>>
>>> My matrix size here is around 47000x47000. If I am not wrong, the memory
>>> usage per core is 272MB.
>>>
>>> Can you tell me if I am wrong ? or really if its light on memory for
>>> this matrix ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> cheers,