[petsc-users] Offloading linear solves in time stepper to GPU

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sat May 30 22:22:40 CDT 2015

Harshad Sahasrabudhe <hsahasra at purdue.edu> writes:

>> Is your intent to solve a problem that matters in a way that makes sense
>> for a scientist or engineer
>

> I want to see if we can speed up the time stepper for a large system using
> GPUs. For large systems with sparse matrix of size 420,000^2, each time
> step takes 341 sec on a single process and 180 seconds on 16 processes. So
> the scaling isn't that good.

 Surely you're familiar with this.

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html#computers

Is the poor scaling due to increased iteration count?  What method are
you using?

> We also run out of memory with more number of processes.

This sounds like a problem with your code (non-scalable data structure).

Also, the GPU doesn't have more memory than the CPU.

How long does it take to solve that system stand-alone using MAGMA,
including the data transfers?