[petsc-users] Offloading linear solves in time stepper to GPU

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sat May 30 22:01:02 CDT 2015

Harshad Sahasrabudhe <hsahasra at purdue.edu> writes:
> For now, I want to serialize the matrices and vectors and offload them to 1
> GPU from the root process. Then distribute the result later.

Unless you have experience with these solvers and the overheads
involved, I think you should expect this to be much slower than simply
doing the solves using a reasonable method in the CPU.  Is your intent
to solve a problem that matters in a way that makes sense for a
scientist or engineer, or is it to demonstrate that a particular
combination of packages/methods/hardware can be used?