[petsc-users] SNESNRICHARDSON with LibMesh

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue May 26 14:25:24 CDT 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Harshad Sahasrabudhe <hsahasra at purdue.edu>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using LibMesh for meshing a non-linear equation. I want to use
> NRichardson non-linear solver to solve the equation. I have a Newton trust
> region non-linear solver as a pre-conditioner. Both these SNES are created
> via the LibMesh NonlinearImplicitSystem and PetscNonlinearSolver wrappers.
>
> I need to re-init the LibMesh NonlinearImplicitSystem each time the
> preconditioner is applied. Also, I need the preconditioner to be solved via
> the LibMesh wrapper instead of directly through SNESSolve. How can make it
> work this way? Any help is appreciated!

I think the easiest way is to have them both look like SNES objects. Then
you can just call SNESSetNPC() or use -snes_npc_side left -npc_snes_type
newtonls

Can you explain what the LibMesh wrapper is doing that you you need? We
could wrap that object in a SNES, but it sounds
simpler to me to unwrap it.