[petsc-users] Block size

Eric Chamberland Eric.Chamberland at giref.ulaval.ca
Fri May 22 11:14:41 CDT 2015

On 05/22/2015 11:36 AM, Barry Smith wrote:

>     Eric,
>
 > to squeeze the largest problem you can run you would use the point
format and it will be somewhat slower but at least you will not run out
of memory.

Ok, my algorithm is already general and can do both.  But my main worry is:

Do all preconditionners are able to handle "sparse blocks" when
block_size > 1 in {SEQ,MPI}AIJ matrix?  Do they still have some gain
with "sparse blocks"?  (for example, algebraic multi-grid will be able
to pick lines "per-block" when block_size > 1 but blocks are "sparses")?

Maybe the answer is trivial, but we were discussing it here and we got
different positions on this..

Thanks,

Eric