[petsc-users] MUMPS error

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue May 19 04:32:39 CDT 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 1:04 AM, venkatesh g <venkateshgk.j at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have attached the log of the command which I gave in the master node:
> make streams NPMAX=32
>
> I dont know why it says 'It appears you have only 1 node'. But other codes
> run in parallel with good scaling on 8 nodes.

If you look at the STREAMS numbers, you can see that your system is only
able to support about 2 cores with the
available memory bandwidth. Thus for bandwidth constrained operations
(almost everything in sparse linear algebra
and solvers), your speedup will not be bigger than 2.

Other codes may do well on this machine, but they would be compute
constrained, using things like DGEMM.