[petsc-users] (no subject)

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon May 4 20:06:52 CDT 2015

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Reza Yaghmaie <reza.yaghmaie2 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Matt,
>
> The initial guess was zero for all cases of SNES solvers. The initial
> jacobian was identity for all cases. The system is small and is ran
> sequentially.
> I have to add that I use FDColoring routine for the jacobian as well.

So, the initial Jacobian was the identity, but we have no idea how close
that is to the true Jacobian. You could use the
coloring routines (the default) combined with

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/SNES/SNESQNSetScaleType.html

using Jacobian, which sets the initial guess to the true Jacobian. That
would give us an idea whether the initial guess
impacted QN covergence.