[petsc-users] Mixed matrices MatMatMult

Luc Berger-Vergiat lb2653 at columbia.edu
Thu Mar 26 16:06:55 CDT 2015

Ok,
this work is still part of my Schur complement approach using the full
schur but with a block diagonal A00^-1.
I implemented the computation of A00^-1 by extracting each diagonal
block and inverting them individually.
This works quite well and does not cost some much, especially since I
can still use threads to accelerate this process (I might send a
question about this in the future...).

At the moment the most expensive part of the procedure is inverting S
(I'm using LU at the moment to make sure that everything is implemented
correctly) and the second most expensive procedure is MatMatMult. I'm
doing two of these: A10 * A00^-1 and then a right multiplication by A01.
Decreasing that cost would be nice (I attached the output of
-log_summary for reference).
I think I need to look for the objects that are not Destroyed too.

Finally I now would like to split the Schur complement into two
submatrices. I have an IS that tracks location of these sub-matrices in
the global system:

        [ A00  A01  A02 ]  --> IS(0)
A = [ A10  A11  A12 ]  --> IS(1)
        [ A20  A21  A22 ]  --> IS(2)

How can I use IS(1) and IS(2) to track:

S =   [ A11  A12 ]  _  [ A10] * [A00]^-1 * [ A01 A02 ]  = [ S11  S12 ]
          [ A21  A22 ]     [
A20]                                          = [ S21  S22 ]  --> IS(2)'

or is there a simple way to compute IS(1)' and IS(2)' based on IS(1) and
IS(2)?

Thanks!

Best,
Luc