[petsc-users] Column #j is wrong in parallel from message "Inserting a new nonzero (i, j) into matrix"

Eric Chamberland Eric.Chamberland at giref.ulaval.ca
Wed Mar 25 13:03:18 CDT 2015

Hi,

while looking for where in the world do I insert the (135,9) entry in my
matrix, I have discovered that the column # shown is wrong in parallel!

I am using PETsc 3.5.3.

The full error message is:

[0]PETSC ERROR: MatSetValues_MPIAIJ() line 564 in
/home/mefpp_ericc/petsc-3.5.3/src/mat/impls/aij/mpi/mpiaij.c Inserting a
new nonzero (135, 9) into matrix

This line code is a call to a #defined macro:

MatSetValues_SeqAIJ_B_Private(row,col,value,addv);

where the "col" parameter is not equal to "in[j]"!!!

in gdb, printing "in[j]" gave me:

print in[j]
$6 = 537

while "col" is:

print col
$7 = 9

So, I expected to have a message telling me that (135,537) and not
(135,9) is a new entry matrix!!!

Would it be a big work to fix this so that the col # displayed is correct?

Thanks!

Eric