[petsc-users] Multigrid preconditioning of entire linear systems for discretized coupled multiphysics problems

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Sat Mar 7 16:40:25 CST 2015

It sounds like AMG is used on the whole system. I've done this for a
different saddle point system but it required enough algorithm extension
that I wrote a paper on it.  These methods are not in GAMG.

I would at least not use smoothed aggregation, use plane aggregation
(-pc_gamg_agg_nsmooths 0).  It might work if it has a stable MG smoother.

Mark

@Article{,
  author =   {Adams, M.~F.},
  title =   {Algebraic multrigrid methods for constrained linear systems
with applications to contact problems in solid mechanics},
  journal =   {Numerical Linear Algebra with Applications},
  year =   {2004},
  volume =   {11},
  number =   {2-3},
  pages =   {141-153}