[petsc-users] Parallel IO of DMPlex

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 02:05:13 CDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I see that parallel IO of various input mesh formats for DMPlex is not
currently supported. However, is there a way to read a custom mesh file in
parallel?

For instance, I have a binary data file formatted like this:

<No. of elements>
<No. of vertices>
<No. of nodes per element>
<Spatial dimension>
<Connectivity array ...
....>
<Coordinates array ...
....>
<No. of exterior nodes>
<List of exterior nodes ...
....>

Reading this will allow me to create a DMPlex with DMPlexCreateFromDAG().
Currently, only the root process reads this binary mesh file and creates
the DMPlex whereas the other processes create an empty DMPlex. Then all
processes invoke DMPlexDistribute(). This one-to-all distribution seems to
be a bottleneck, and I want to know if it's possible to have each process
read a local portion of the connectivity and coordinates arrays and let
DMPlex/METIS/ParMETIS handle the load balancing and redistribution.
Intuitively this would be easy to write, but again I want to know how to do
this through leveraging the functions and routines within DMPlex.

Thanks,
Justin