[petsc-users] Make a distributed vector with petsc4py

Matthew Kury kury.matthew at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 18:59:56 CDT 2015

Hello, thank you in advance for any help you can provide. This question is a bit elementary but the lack of documentation for petsc4py makes some tasks rather hard.

I am trying to do some parallel vector calculations and assembly on an unstructured mesh. I build a DMplex using DMPlex.createFromCellList. However, once I reach this point I am unable to figure out how to properly form any form of a vector that could be used in parallel computations.

The closest I have come was, creating a section using DMPlex.createSection and then using DMPlex.createLocalVector and DMPlex.createGlobalVector, however what this did was give be a local vector the size of the total expected DOF, and a global vector the twice the size of the expected DOF.

I appreciate all the help,

Matthew W. Kury
Ph.D. Candidate
CMRL UC Berkeley
M.S. Mechanical Engineering UC Berkeley, 2014