[petsc-users] Solving eigenproblems in the form of Stokes equations

Julian Andrej juan at tf.uni-kiel.de
Sun Jul 12 06:30:57 CDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Julian Andrej <juan at tf.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i'm trying to solve a generalized eigenvalue problem which is the
>> stokes equations discretized by finite elements (with fenics) and
>> producing a banded matrix (reordered structure) of the well known
>> block form
>>
>> [N    Q]
>> [QT  0]
>>
>> The domain is the unit square with dirichlet boundary condition
>> evaluating to zero at all boundary nodes.
>>
>> A is the block matrix in banded reordered structure and M is the mass
>> matrix.
>

> You have not written an equation here. Are you solving
>
>   Q^T N^{-1} Q x = \lambda M x

I don't have / want access to the underlying blocks of the matrix. So
in fact i give the solver

A = [N  Q]      M = [M 0]
      [QT 0]             [0  0]

With a little more reading of the documentation i was able to figure
out that the EPS object also takes regular KSP objects. So i got the
following settings working.

E = SLEPc.EPS().create()
st = E.getST()
st.setType('sinvert')
kspE = st.getKSP()
kspE.setType('gmres')
pc = kspE.getPC()
pc.setType('lu')
pc.setFactorSolverPackage('mumps')
E.setOperators(A, M)

These options give me an eigenvalue bundle at 1.0+j0 (which represent
the DirichletBC) and the correct eigenvalues following.
I'd like to understand the background a little more, how this produces
a solvable eigenproblem.