[petsc-users] Nodes coordinates in distributed dmplex

Alejandro D Otero aotero at fi.uba.ar
Fri Jul 10 06:48:05 CDT 2015

Hi Matt, thanks for your answer.

I got a vector from getCoordinates(). How are their components indexed? is
(p * dim + d) with p: node, dim: of the problem, x_d coordinate of the
node, ok?
Which numbering for p? The local number of node, the number of point in the
DAG of the dm, the original number of node?

I am trying a simple square mesh with 16 4-node square elements parted into
2 process. Total of 25 nodes.
The distributed dm seems alright to me. Each process gets a dm with 8
elements an 15 nodes, which means that the 5 shared nodes are local to each
process. But one of the process gives negative values for the shared nodes.
How need them to be mapped to get the right number.

It seems I'm using a wrong approach to this. May be I need to get the
coordinates in a somehow different way. I'm working on a from-scratch
implementation of a FEM code based on petsc4py. I want to code the problem
matrices assembly from elemental matrices. I've already done this
sequentially, but I got stuck when trying to compute elemental matrices in
parallel because I don't understand the way of obtaining the coordinates of
the nodes in for each element.

Again, thanks for your help,

A.