[petsc-users] Can't expand MemType 1: jcol 16104

Anthony Paul Haas aph at email.arizona.edu
Tue Jul 7 14:37:53 CDT 2015

Hi Jose,

In my code, I use once PETSc to solve a linear system to get the baseflow
(without using SLEPc) and then I use SLEPc to do the stability analysis of
that baseflow. This is why, there are some SLEPc options that are not used
in test.out-superlu_dist-151x151 (when I am solving for the baseflow with
PETSc only). I have attached a 101x101 case for which I get the
eigenvalues. That case works fine. However If i increase to 151x151, I get
the error that you can see in test.out-superlu_dist-151x151 (similar error
with mumps: see test.out-mumps-151x151 line 2918 ). If you look a the very
end of the files test.out-superlu_dist-151x151 and test.out-mumps-151x151,
you will see that the last info message printed is:

On Processor (after EPSSetFromOptions)  0    memory:
0.65073152000E+08          =====>  (see line 807 of module_petsc.F90)

This means that the memory error probably occurs in the call to EPSSolve
(see module_petsc.F90 line 810). I would like to evaluate how much memory
is required by the most memory intensive operation within EPSSolve. Since I
am solving a generalized EVP, I would imagine that it would be the LU
decomposition. But is there an accurate way of doing it?

Before starting with iterative solvers, I would like to exploit as much as
I can direct solvers. I tried GMRES with default preconditioner at some
point but I had convergence problem. What solver/preconditioner would you
recommend for a generalized non-Hermitian (EPS_GNHEP) EVP?

Thanks,

Anthony