[petsc-users] proper Fortran usage for PetscMemoryGetMaximumUsage

Anthony Haas aph at email.arizona.edu
Fri Jul 3 13:35:37 CDT 2015

Hi Barry,

I tried what you suggested. When I use the flag -memory_info,
PetscMemoryGetMaximumUsage returns a nonzero value. If I do not use
-memory_info, PetscMemoryGetMaximumUsage returns a zero value on all
processes. Regarding PetscMemoryGetCurrentUsage, it returns a nonzero
value with or without the -memory_info flag. As for the debugger, I set
a breakpoint at the function location (break
PetscMemoryGetMaximumUsage), then use run. When the program reaches the
breakpoint, I use step and then print to examine mem (see below).

Thanks,

Anthony

PetscMemoryGetMaximumUsage (mem=0x7fffffffcca0)
     at /home/anthony/LIB/petsc-3.6.0/src/sys/memory/mem.c:153
153      if (!PetscMemoryCollectMaximumUsage)
SETERRQ(PETSC_COMM_SELF,PETSC_ERR_ARG_WRONGSTATE,"To use this function
you must first call PetscMemorySetGetMaximumUsage()");
(gdb)
154      *mem = PetscMemoryMaximumUsage;
(gdb) print *mem
$1 = 6.9533558072018098e-310
(gdb) step
155      PetscFunctionReturn(0);
(gdb)
156    }
(gdb)
petscmemorygetmaximumusage_ (mem=0x7fffffffcca0, __ierr=0x7fffffffcd74)
     at /home/anthony/LIB/petsc-3.6.0/src/sys/memory/ftn-auto/memf.c:52
52    }
(gdb)
petsc::setupsolvegevp (nx=25, ny=25, nxy=625, alpha=0,
     beta=3.1415926535897931, re=1000) at module_petsc.F90:367
367        call MPI_Barrier(MPI_COMM_WORLD,ierr);CHKERRQ(ierr)
(gdb) print mem
$2 = 0